PROPOLIS: WHAT IS IT?
Propolis, together with honey, is one of the best known and most appreciated gifts from our bees.
It is in fact a prodigious resinous substance that is collected from the buds and bark of some plants.
In particular, those rich in resins and balms such as: poplars, firs, elms, oaks, chestnuts, willows and cherry trees, to name a few. After collecting it, the bees mix it with their saliva, wax and pollen.
Its composition is very varied, in fact it depends on both the flora and the harvesting season.
The same goes for both color: it can vary from yellow to green to red, to brown and black.
The flavor, consequently, will range from sour-bitter to sweet.
Propolis is used precisely by bees for its antibacterial and antifungal biological properties to sterilize the hive, especially the cells before the queen lays her eggs.
It is also used to close holes and cracks and “paint” them so as to make them immune to bacterial attacks. It also acts as a thermal insulator during the cold winter months.
Its name, in fact, derives from the Greek “pro” and “polis“, that is “in front of the city”, in defense of the city. By transferring its meaning to us, propolis is in defense of our city, that is, our organism.
WHEN IT WAS USED
Its use dates back to very ancient times: in Egypt it was used for mummification, the Greeks and Romans collected it for its healing effects for sores and wounds and in South America the Incas used it to lower body temperature in case of fever.
Its composition cannot be defined exactly because, as we have seen before, it depends a lot on the habitat and the harvesting period.
However, it can be summarized as follows:
- Balm (50%)
- Waxes (30%)
- Essential oils (10%)
- Amino acids
- Mineral salts (iron, copper, calcium and manganese)
- Vitamins (B, C, E)
PROPOLIS: WHAT ARE ITS PROPERTIES
- Antibacterial: It is able to stop the proliferation of some bacterial strains
- Anti-inflammatory: especially for people with asthma problems. Extremely useful also for inflammation of the oral cavity
- Antiviral: very effective especially against Herpes simplex, influenza and respiratory viruses
- Immunostimulant: helps the body to raise the immune system
- Antifungal: extremely effective especially in case of candidiasis or cutaneous mycosis
IT IS ADVISED AGAINST
- Seasonal ailments
- Respiratory infections
- Infections of the oral cavity
- Dental problems (inflammation of the gums and oral mucous membranes)
- Sore throat, cold, cough and flu
- Asthma and bronchitis
The line of organic beehive products was born from the desire to also become beekeepers.
By tasting the products it will be possible to savor the passion and tradition that accompanies the VonDerWeid company, combined with the unmistakable taste of the Triestine Karst.